Author Topic: MFF Top Ten! #5 - Parking at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare  (Read 2301 times)

duncandahusky

• Hotel Liaison
  • Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DuncanHusky
    • View Profile
    • Midwest FurFest 2013
MFF Top Ten! #5 - Parking at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare
« on: November 08, 2012, 12:25:27 PM »
Eight days to go until Midwest FurFest! For #5 of the Midwest FurFest Top Ten, we want to talk about something very important to many of you: Parking at Midwest FurFest.

The Hyatt’s parking lot only has room for around 900 cars. We are expecting over 3,000 people at Midwest FurFest this year. As you can see, that makes for more cars than parking spaces. There simply isn't enough room for everyone to park in the Hyatt's lot. The Hyatt has suggested and we have agreed that preference for parking will be given to Midwest FurFest guests staying at the Hyatt.

Fortunately, there is plenty of parking available in Rosemont! Here is a map showing nearby parking alternatives:

(Rates at the Convention Center and Williams Street parking garages do not include Rosemont's $1/day parking tax)

We know that you will have some questions. Here are (hopefully) some answers:

I am staying at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare. Will I have to show my badge or room key to park there?

The Hyatt's parking staff will have a list of people who have reservations for rooms at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare. Make sure that you have added all of the people staying in your room to your reservation! (You can go to the reservations website to add or change the names of people staying in your room. Click on "Already have a reservation?")

Even though I'm not staying there, can I park at the overflow hotels (Crowne Plaza or Westin)?

No, because their parking lots are relatively small, they only have room for paying guests staying there.

If I park at the Rosemont CTA Station, will my car get towed?

If you park there during the day and evening, you should be fine. If you leave your car at the Rosemont CTA Station overnight we can make no guarantees. We do not recommend that people park in that lot overnight.

How come there isn't any free parking near the hotel?

Rosemont is a convention town  it exists for no other reason. The parking facilities count on visitors to generate revenue. Also, we are directly adjacent to O'Hare International Airport. Any free parking lot would immediately fill up with air travelers parking there while they fly in and out of O'Hare.

Why didn't Midwest FurFest negotiate discounted parking in surrounding parking facilities?

The short answer: That would simply cost too much money. The long answer: Because there is very little competition among the parking facilities, there is no incentive for any of them to lower their prices for us. Additionally, it would require a contract. Contracts are based on quid pro quo – someone gives you something in exchange for something else. The only way that we could have gotten discount parking for Midwest FurFest guests would be through direct cash payments to the parking facilities. For every dollar that the convention spends, we must make sure that we get the maximum benefit for our guests. Discounted parking would cost tens of thousands of dollars, but would only benefit a few hundred people, whereas spending that money on, say, the Con Suite will benefit a few thousand people. It's a hard decision to make but in the end we have to choose what gives everyone the greatest benefit.

Can I park my RV/trailer/bobtail/semi-truck in the Hyatt parking lot?

Unfortunately, because parking is limited in the Hyatt's parking lot we are forced to only allow vehicles which occupy a single parking space. If you take up two parking spaces, you force someone to have to park elsewhere. There is really no oversized parking that we know of immediately near the Hyatt Regency O'Hare.

Finally, please note that Midwest FurFest and the Hyatt Regency O'Hare cannot be held responsible for any parking fees incurred while attending the convention.

What will be #4 in the Midwest FurFest Top Ten? You'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 06:58:40 AM by duncandahusky »